Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Bursting forth on a bright April day

Even the jumping-spiders, my favourites, made an early appearance this year.
Good morning friends and faithful readers - it's a bright (if somewhat chilly) April morning, but - all around us, the sights and sounds of new life are irrepressibly making their way to the fore. I've seen large numbers of recently-emerged tiger moths recently-migrated red admiral butterflies flitting about the blossoms of red maples in the St. Lawrence neighbourhood this week, grackles and red-winged blackbirds congregating in the tops of budding trees, and a whole host of flowering plants bursting forth to meet the rays of the Sun. At home, my own garden has seen exceptional growth - lilies coming up in record numbers, bergamot seeming already to be well-ahead of itself (by several weeks, at least), and our patch of wormwood coming nicely along. I've finished planting our green beans along the top tier of the planter-box garden, and soon we'll be tying our hand at growing onions for the first time. We'd grow tomatoes, but we learned our lesson after spending a great deal of time trying to ward off the rapaciousness of the local foraging squirrel population (darn tree-rats, eating everything in sight - and well before any of it is even close to being ripe!) But truly, with fresh new life springing up from every corner, who could have the time for lingering self-doubts or undue negativity? Not this green-thumbed guerrilla-marketer.


Happy Birthday, Liz

Today is a most special day for our household, as it marks another trip around the Sun for my lovely (and supportive) wife Elizabeth. I began the day by serving her a fresh cup of coffee while serenading her with a deep-voiced, mellifluous rendition of "Happy Birthday" set to the tune of the William Tell Overture. You're the reason I persevere, Liz. You're the reason I want more from Life - more than some might meekly choose to accept. This year will see great changes, and I have a strong sense that they'll be changes for the better. Happy Birthday, my love.



Get your network running: Carnival del Sol

Spring is, of course, a time for optimism and renewal, and all the more so this year in light of the ongoing difficulties facing professionals in our industry due to the sluggishness of our economy. This is not the time to cringe in fear for ones' future, faithful readers - Heavens, no. This is instead the time for us to extend our individual reach far beyond our own selves, and expand our influence beyond whatever tightly-drawn circles we might have relegated ourselves to over the leaner months of winter. Yes, the time of professional networking is clearly upon us once again... and what better way to kick it off than to pay another visit to Liberty Village? This evening will see Stalking the Job attending an event at 167 East Liberty Street. Yes, tonight (starting at 5:30) Bar Vespa will be playing host to the Liberty Social Hour: Carnival del Sol, so don't hesitate to stock up on business cards and stop in for a drink and a chat.

Bar Vespa, 167 East Liberty Street.

Shouting out loud

I'd like to give a shout-out to my old friend (and pillar of inspiration) M. Michelle Nadon of Media Intelligence. It had been some time since we'd spoken, but after seeing a number of updates appear on Mich's LinkedIn profile I shot her a quick message just to check in and see how she was doing. She had me give her a phone call the following morning - and I'm positive she gave up a portion of her morning in order to do so (thanks, Mich). Talking with her was probably the best thing I did all day. She helped me to later look myself squarely in the mirror and ask tough questions of myself.


In many respects, I was already doing just that - this being one of the benefits (or drawbacks, depending on your point of view) of my ongoing initiative, having the time for contemplative thought and rumination on the goals I've set for myself. But I did not find myself especially wanting, instead I found myself redoubling my resolve. This is the right time and the right way for me to rise above my current station in Life - and (as always) I must endeavour to be the best person I can be. Do what you love; do it well. Do it to the best of your abilities, and never stop trying to surmount whatever odds the universe conspires to throw your way. Perseverance is king; and good things come - eventually - for those who strive for something better. Smile, or even laugh in the face of adversity. And in all things, be yourself... be authentic, genuine, and above all be honest - not just with others, but with yourself.


Have you seen that QR Code Guy?

Taken by Chris Smart near Lansdowne April 13th

Remember now, if you've taken a photo of That QR Code Guy walking about Toronto, this blog wants to hear from you! While I can't promise you wealth or fame, I can promise to provide attribution for your content, so please don't hesitate to get in touch. For Stalking the Job, this is your scribe John Currie signing off. And if you're in Liberty Village this evening folks, well - I'll be seeing you...!


No comments:

Post a Comment