Thursday, April 19, 2012

Smart money: Spend money, make money

Taken by Jessica Lepik, April 18
Hello again, all. In-between jaunts around Hogtown, Stalking the Job has this week found the time to schmooze and time to read some news, and in so doing have found my groove. Well, a groove, anyway. Or maybe it's more of a furrow. Whatever. Last night my friend and colleague Vince Vaitekunas attended the "Liberty Social Hour: Carnival del Sol" with me at Bar Vespa along East Liberty Street, and from what I could see, it was a smashing success - the planners should all be congratulating themselves on a job well-done. I'd already planned to attend, but yesterday's daily horoscope made my decision a somewhat of a moot point as it exhorted me to "jump on an opportunity" last night. And you know, faithful readers? That was good enough for me.

Of course, as previously mentioned in these pages, Liberty Village is a bit of a hike from my neck of the woods - not so bad on the King streetcar, but quite a ways away by foot - but I nonetheless rose to the challenge and headed out early in the day. I'd hoped to engage people sitting out on patios as the end of the workday approached (but as I found out, the warm sun could not overcome the chill mid-april air, and so those patios were a little less than overwhelmed with patrons). To my surprise, I found it far easier to cover the distance than I had on previous occasions. No doubt this has a lot to do with having improved the strength in my upper and lower legs the last couple of months, as well as my overall endurance. But once there, I shed my ubiquitous QR code harness as it's a tad bit bulky for confined, crowded spaces such as Bar Vespa.

Vince & I chatted, mixed & exchanged business cards with a variety of people at the event, and also enjoyed some excellent finger-foods. The bar staff were knowledgeable and certainly knew their way around a proper Whiskey Sour, I'm pleased to report. Capping the evening off rather nicely, Vince won a gift-basket door prize - but his lactose intolerance prompted him to pass part of his prize (a gift certificate for a free large three-topping pizza from Pizza Pizza) on to me. What a guy! Oh, and I'd like to give a small shout-out to the unnamed woman we encountered on our way out of Liberty Village - yes, it really is a working QR code, your bicycle really was very cool, and I'd be only too happy to explain the thinking behind it in greater depth, so... if you're reading this blog, friendly marketing/advertising stranger... please, feel free to get in touch sometime. I'm always available for a chat.


I got the message (and the message is clear)

Last week I had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of Frank E. D'Angelo, owner of The Messengers International. The Messengers is a Toronto-based express courier company that I know I've certainly seen around town on more than one occasion. At the time of our impromptu chat, Frank was talking about how he has plans to introduce dress uniforms for his employees (so as to shift his workforce up a tier, in terms of how the public-at-large perceives his company). It's important to note that, like so many other businesses in 2012, times have been tough for Frank's operation. But perhaps more importantly, Frank himself recognizes the need - the very real need - for a growing business to tackle tough times head-on.
Sure, there might be a tendency to want to ride out stormy economic weather by way of emulating the turtle, pulling oneself tightly into ones' own shell and hoping for the best - and that tactic might very well work in some cases - but the smart money knows that, in times of a downward spiral it makes better sense to raise your profile than to hide away. Basically, in order to make money you've got to spend some money (and spend it wisely). Frank talked at length about an idea he's had for a series of cleverly-conceived radio commercials, which he'd like to have air on the more-popular radio stations in the GTA.

The ads would feature an ongoing narrative involving a character not unlike a Dashiell Hammet creation - a sort of gumshoe detective figure - which would undoubtedly not only raise the visibility of his brand, but would also hold terrific appeal for listeners. D'Angelo really and truly impressed me with his natural savvy in the approach he's considering for growing his business; he understands full well that, once we've finally moved past the current (and somewhat bleak) outlook for business, The Messengers International could be properly positioned to capture a far greater share of the market. Hats off to you, Frank - you are by far one of the more astute individuals I've met in my journeys, and I hope to hear from you soon.


Further thoughts on money, courtesy of Daily Kos

The other day I ran across an article from Daily Kos, a portion of which I'd like to share with you, as I feel strongly that it addresses some of the concerns prevalent in these times (in particular, the concept of "austerity") - and does so in a way with which I can wholeheartedly agree, especially in light of my recent encounter with the very forward-thinking Frank E. D'Angelo:

That we are even discussing economic austerity is itself proof that the political systems of the developed world are but servants to private industry. We know how the world dug itself out of the Great Depression, and it wasn't economic austerity. It was deficit spending. It was Keynesian economics. It was a widespread series of policies that laid the foundation for true economic growth. From the ground up. The top resting securely on a solid base rather than on the shoulders of an overburdened populace. And as more and more people had the means to participate in the economy the short-term deficits began to resolve themselves. When people have money to spend they also have taxable income. When people have money to spend the businesses that profit off their spending also have taxable income. A reviving economy means greater government revenue because more people and businesses are contributing to it. A reviving economy means fewer government outlays, not as a form of social punishment but because there is less social need. It's not complicated.

As I said earlier, the smart money knows to spend money in order to make money. As Laurence Lewis (the author of the originating Daily Kos article) says, "it's not complicated". In light of that, let's all make a point of raising a toast to better days to come - and hopefully, smarter stewards for the worlds' economy.


A shout-out from the wilds of Front Street East

I'll admit to having been slightly embarrassed yesterday, as I completely and utterly failed to recognize a man I'd once interacted with on a number of occasions: Paul Moyer, President of Optix Digital Pictures. It was okay, though - as Paul didn't recognize me either. Well, certainly not until he'd had a chance to look at my business card.

It's just that, as we've shuffled along our own respective lifetimes, we've evidently both had cause to re-invent ourselves at one time or another; the last time I'd stopped by Optix, I still had hair down to my posterior and a full Fidel Castro-style beard while Paul had his own facial hair thing going on. These days, Paul has opted for the sharper appearance afforded by close-shaving his face and scalp. I think I'll try making a point of paying Paul a visit at Optix in the next little while... as it was darned good running into him, and I'd be quite curious to see what they've been up to in the last few years. In fact, having had the chance now to look over the Optix website I've already got a bit of an idea, but I'd sooner hear about it from the horses' mouth - As, if there's one thing I've learned from this campaign, it's that a few minutes' time spent conversing in person far outweighs any amount of solitary research one could hope to perform on ones' own. Besides, this blog is about Stalking the Job, not Stalking the Internet!


Have you seen that QR Code Guy?

Taken by Mark Muralla at Queen & Spadina,  April 17

Twitter is my friend. No, really - it is! Without Twitter, I'd have a much greater task trying to find photos people have taken of me over the course of this campaign. Heck, nowadays it's kinda like a real-time audience participation tool... when I encounter people keen to take a photo (assuming they're being upfront about it and not peeling off a snap or two of me from behind) I ask flat-out whether I can include it on my blog, and as you might expect, the response is usually pretty positive! With that in mind, I'd like to thank Mark Muralla for this one - and yes, I did have to ask his permission after the fact, but I really don't mind. I'm just happy for the added content!

And so before I go, let me just re-iterate that if you're amongst those who've taken a photo of That QR Code Guy in the course of his travels around the City of Toronto, Stalking the Job wants to feature your pics. For StJ, this is John Currie - your faithful scribe - wishing you all the very best for the upcoming weekend. Remember folks... I'll be seeing you!

No comments:

Post a Comment