Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Sticking out like a sore thumb at the National Job Fair

A very happy Wednesday evening to you, my faithful readers. Today saw Stalking the Job attending the National Job Fair at Toronto's Metro Convention Centre, where it seemed I made quite an impression, what with the sandwich board and all. Truth be told I kinda stuck out like a proverbial sore thumb, but - after all, one of the pillars of my QR code campaign is visibility. In real terms, the employment pickings there were somewhat rather slim... although I can honestly report that there are some terrific opportunities for engineers, chemists and skilled tradespeople of all sorts out in Saskatchewan at the moment! That being said, in the days to come I do plan on following up with the people & organizations that I did interact with.

Of particular interest (to me, anyway) was the booth being run by McKenzie College - as they're currently on the lookout for people with expertise in the field of digital media. My interest stems from the positive experiences I've had mentoring and/or tutoring others in motion-graphic design (and yes, I fully recognize that I have a great many insights to offer to up-and-coming graphic artists). Having made the rounds more than once at the Convention Centre, I decided to take some lunch across the street at Ooh-La-La inside the CBC building... but before I made my way across Front Street, I had a wonderful encounter with Bob Chandler of the Labour Education Centre here in Toronto. It seems they're in a bit of a bind at the moment with regards to their current logo, so having heard what Bob had to say I handed him a business card with a very reasonable quote written on the back. I hope to hear back from the LEC in the very near future!

The National Job Fair & Training Expo Runs April 4th to 5th at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

Dance This Mess Around

I feel a little silly for having failed to mention this before now, but last Saturday night saw me cutting the rug at my old friend Martin Amdur's springtime Dance Party! Not only was it a chance to meet some new people, I was able to catch up & re-connect with friends I haven't seen in several months. I think part of the reason it had slipped my mind was that after Martin had approached me to design an "event"-style poster for the party, I'd made a point of not posting it anywhere online (lest it somehow wind its' way elsewhere, with the end result being a house mobbed with a thousand uninvited revellers). Here's a web-friendly version of the poster:


As Martin is a former Deadhead and a dedicated vinyl enthusiast, the content was a bit of a no-brainer. I must admit, I was a little perplexed when I first arrived (at or about 9 PM), as the house was completely dark - with no music playing. It seems I'd forgotten all about Earth Hour... mostly because on any given night at our house we practically live solely by the light of our monitors, but - to his credit, Martin was dutifully observing the occasion by delaying the start of his shindig. But once the music started up, a great time was had by all... and according to Tim Svirklys of Artheart, I was quite possibly the "most limber person" out on the dance floor that evening! I credit my energy (not to mention the strength in my legs) to the rigours of my ongoing marketing campaign.

Another ghost along King

Tuesday evening found me canvassing King Street West - and I should mention that, up 'til this point I've kept my initiative mostly relegated to the daylight hours (if only because my feet are usually killing me by 5 o'clock or so) - but a shocking discovery prompted me to text my good friend Todd Ivey, of Wabunganung Films. One of Todd's favourite lunchtime eateries, the Swiss Chalet across from Roy Thomson Hall, has shuttered its' windows and removed all signage. No longer will he be able to enjoy a quarter-chicken dinner with fries and extra gravy (or whatever that hot gloopy stuff is that they serve on the side)... I couldn't see any signs of what sort of establishment will be moving into the empty site, but Todd is of the (somewhat cynical) opinion that it will most likely be some overpriced cavern-like environment that's long on cocktails and short on the menu. Time will tell... but truly, it's an ignominious end to one of Todd's long-standing gastronomic relationships.

Have you seen that QR Code Guy?

Taken by Vince Vaitekunas, February 2012.

Thanks again to my friend Vince Vaitekunas for this lovely shot taken along Queen Street West a while back. Now I know there's a few more people out there who've snapped a photo or two, so: if you've taken a photo of That QR Code Guy in his journeys around Toronto, Stalking the Job wants to hear from you.

This is John Currie for Stalking the Job, signing off - have a wonderful Wednesday evening, folks - and remember, I'll be seeing you...!

2 comments:

  1. Hi John - just received your comment on my blog. What a great idea you have there! You can absolutely feature the photo and the post however you see fit. I'll write a follow-up post about your efforts as well.

    I regret not having scanned your QR code...but you were having a conversation and it felt like it'd have been an intrusion. I'll look out for you next time I'm walking around in the area.

    Best,
    Jason

    http://jasonlast.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope after all this amazing self promotion you have promoted yourseld into a salaried situation. What a creative mind sir.

    ReplyDelete