Friday, February 17, 2012

Crashing the Party at Social Media Week Toronto

Yes faithful readers, once again Stalking the Job crashed an event at SMWTO. And although I tried doing so as inconspicuously as possible... the speaker, Lisa Horvat of Strategic Storytellers drew my presence to everyone's attention as I crept in to stand at the back of the room. Not that I could blame her; it's not every day that a man rather conspicuously wearing a giant QR code walks into a presentation. If I hadn't been wearing my trademark shades I might've betrayed a rather sheepish look in my eyes...

But, a great presentation from Lisa Horvat. As I listened to her speak, I realized that in my own way - perhaps even inadvertently - what I've been doing with this blog, with the QR code sandwich board, and with my funny lil' web-comic has been to tell a story. My story. And it's a story that continues to unfold. Each new day brings me a wealth of anecdotes to mine, allows me the opportunity to connect with people, to inform and to be informed. And of course, walking around downtown every day has improved the strength in my legs (and the sandwich board has done wonders for my posture). But this is a story with a difference. It's a story that I'm living, in realtime... and of course, I'm hoping it has a happy ending.

I say "hoping", but that's perhaps a little disingenuous. Instead of simply "hoping", what I'm really doing is seizing the bull by the horns with as much grit and determination as I can manage. And that's why I've been gate-crashing events at SMWTO this week - because sitting on my duff at home isn't going to raise my visibility. Endlessly jumping through hoops online to hopefully get a wink & a nod from prospective employers hasn't worked. So what has been working? Being there... being seen. Being on-hand to talk with people about just what the Hell I'm up to. Can this translate to gainful employment? Can I make my message of determination, initiative and the will to succeed penetrate through to a prospective employer? Well, I could say "I hope so" - but instead I'll choose to say, "I know I can".

Everybody takes photos of me when I'm not looking...


So here's to happy endings - and as ever folks, I'll see you around.

No comments:

Post a Comment