Friday, February 24, 2012

You Gotta Look Sharp...!

Good afternoon, faithful readers. It is a dark and windswept Friday, with the temperature hovering around freezing, and a sky full of cold rain and sleet. What better type of day to stay indoors, while continuing to scheme my schemes for surmounting the job-market in Toronto? In fact I plan to use some of my time later today to work on the fourth installment of "The Adventures of That QR Code Guy", as I've been receiving a few inquiries about the upcoming comic.

Yesterday was a good day - warm, sunny in the morning and early afternoon - just the sort of weather that puts an extra bounce in my step. And bounce I did; bounced, skipped, whistled and moved my feet to the rhythms in my head. I say, "in my head" because I choose not to use use an .mp3 player while out and about on the streets of the city. Some have told me they couldn't imagine doing what I'm doing without their iPod, that they'd find themselves bored beyond belief, but I've found that it's absolutely critical to be fully aware of my environment at all times (and that includes being able to hear what's going on around me).

 
That QR Code Guy (as captured by ) walking north at the corner of King & Bay in Toronto.

In the downtown core, it pays to be mindful of the ebb and flow of oncoming traffic, of fast-moving electric carts and of the ever-present sidewalk-cyclists who'll unexpectedly approach from behind. There've also been a number occasions where, in passing, I've heard people quietly murmur to each other that they'd like to try scanning my QR code. Of course, I'm only too happy to oblige - except when crossing an intersection, that is.

Having taken on the persona of That QR Code Guy, I am to all intents and purposes, the sole ambassador of my personal brand. Yes, the whole point of my campaign is to use the QR code to prompt passersby into satisfying their curiousity... but, as the code represents me - my work - and my stated desire to contribute, in a meaningful fashion, to an organization that values creativity and initiative - it is solely my responsibility to engage the members of the public. Were I to choose to simply walk around with buds stuffed in my ears, I would in a sense be "dialing-in" my presence. No, the approach I've found works best is to be there, not just in body but in spirit.

To no small extent, this idea of "being there" also dictates both how I comport myself and how I present myself in public. As I've had occasion to say (to more than one person), were I to walk around slouching and slumping my shoulders while staring at the ground, I can't imagine any passersby bothering to find out just what it is that I'm up to. Instead I walk tall - chest out, shoulders erect and with my head held high  - always exuding an air of quiet self-assurance and approachability.

As Joe Jackson said many, many years ago, "you gotta look sharp". And it's true! On the coldest mornings this month (those days that I simply could not walk out of the house wearing just my suit-jacket and sandwich board) my reel saw fewer overall views on my YouTube channel, and I think it was due in part to not looking as polished in my winter jacket and scarf as I do in my suit. People certainly seem to be less inclined to satisfy their curiousity if your grooming and/or personal appearance is not as well-considered as it could be. And, comfy though they may be this also means leaving the running shoes at home. Proper black leather walking shoes convey something entirely different than a pair of Reeboks!

So, before heading out the door into the downtown core I always make sure I'm scrubbed, shaven, well-dressed, and in possession of as many necessities (business cards, breath gum, et cetera) as needed for an eight-hour day of walking and talking.

Now on a cold day like today I'd be severely disinclined to go bopping down the street to a James Brown rhythm, but yesterday I definitely had my inner groove on. And you know, it seems to have worked in my favour; the reel saw a decided uptick in views. But I think it also served me in another manner - see, there are those who (being too shy to ask or even to scan) have assumed I must be some sort of protestor. By letting myself relax and stepping into a swinging pattern of walking, I'm letting people know that whatever it is that I'm up to, it's probably nothing to do with politics, war, religion or the zombie apocalypse. By playing the clown (to a certain extent), I'm putting them at their ease. I'm telling them that it's alright to scan me, that I'm a nice guy - someone who isn't about to launch into a lecture, or pester them for donations.

One of the things I've learned is that scans do not necessarily equal views on my YouTube channel, at least not immediately. When checking through YouTube analytics, I'll see a number of views coming up via mobile devices during the overnight periods, when I'm all tucked in and snoring up a storm. I've come to the conclusion that people are tending (more often than not) to bookmark the video after scanning the QR code, so they can view it later on. And this is, of course entirely fine... though I'll admit I wish I could be on-hand to answer any questions they might have, either about the campaign or about my goals. One such exchange this week netted me an offer from a complete stranger to personally convey my CV and related materials to the appropriate parties at one of the larger banking corporations downtown. Just that experience alone underscored for me that this somewhat-radical approach of mine is not at all a novelty, but rather an innovation in this current job-market.

Is it the right approach for anyone else? Is Toronto about to explode with men in black fedoras wearing life-sized QR codes? Most likely not - but if it ever comes about, well... they'll have to look sharp.

For Stalking the Job, this is John Currie - and as always, I'll see you around.

No comments:

Post a Comment