Wednesday, February 22, 2012

And the Award Goes to...

It occurred to me yesterday that I have a lot to be thankful for. Good friends, supportive family, and an awful lot of random passersby who... well, who certainly aren't hostile, anyway. So this morning on Stalking the Job, faithful readers, I'd like to take a bit of time to properly show my gratitude:

The award for "Most Understanding Wife" goes to - well, it goes to my wife Liz. She's there for me... has been from the start of this mad scheme... and she isn't afraid to administer the occasional swift kick to the backside when I need one. Thank you my dear. And I promise I'll find some way to incorporate you into an upcoming issue of my web-comic.

The award for "Best Partner-in-Crime" goes to my associate, Vince Vaitekunas. Vince was partially responsible for drawing me out of my shell last year, and was one of the first people to see the validity of this crazy idea. Not only that, he was largely responsible for constructing the sandwich board - and he's helped with shooting/editing video for the intro portion of my reel. Thanks, Vince.

The award for "Best Sister-in-Law" goes to my wife's sister, Joanne. She has helped me in any way she can, from printing up stacks of business cards to recommending a downtown print shop, and all she ever seems to ask in return is carafe after carafe of coffee on Saturday mornings. I make good coffee, apparently.

The award for "Most Accommodating Print-Shop Owner in Toronto" goes to Hamilton Choi of Printland Plus on Yonge Street. As it turns out, Hamilton is both the brother-in-law of the minister at the downtown church where my sister-in-law works, and the former employer of one of my oldest friends. It really is a smaller world than some might think.


The award for "Greatest Barber in Toronto" goes to Mike Maranich of Nu-Image Hair Design on Lower Sherbourne Street. Mike's been cutting my hair for years, but if any of you are familiar with the old UK comedy series "Red Dwarf", Mike is like the character of Lister's Confidence. You can't spend any time in Mike's orbit without being made to feel ten feet tall.

The award for "Most Supportive Friend I Frequently Encounter in Random Places" goes to my pal Tim, who I've run into on the streets of the city on no fewer than five occasions since setting forth on this quest for gainful employment. I'll always fondly remember Tim grabbing me by the shoulder in the heart of the Entertainment District and repeatedly yelling, "hire this man!" to anyone within earshot.

The award for "Best Former Apprentice Turned Twitter Re-Tweeter" goes to Dan O'Rourke, who after working with me for a few years, later went on to his own career in motion-graphics. Whenever I release a new installment of the "Adventures of That QR Code Guy" web-comic, Dan's there re-tweeting it to his followers. Thanks for being in my corner, Dan.

Congratulations, one and all. It's your faith in me that helps me to persevere... to not falter, to keep moving forward. You make the task I've set for myself seem less daunting... and I thank you for that.

But for now, the city awaits - and I shall conquer it! See you around...!

1 comment: