Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Liberty Village (take two!)

Today saw another foray westward, out Dufferin way. It's been a while since I was last in Liberty Village, and in part I suppose it's because my own stomping grounds, just a quick stroll from the Distillery District, are so far away. Keeping to a slow and even pace on the trip back home tonight took almost two hours! Well, at least the angle of the sun has changed since my previous visit, and the shadows are neither quite as long nor as cold as they were in February.

My feet carried me up and down all the avenues from Atlantic to Mowat, moving in an overall westerly direction. I noticed that there are are a lot of windows in Liberty Village; the sort of windows that faces look out from. The trouble (from my point of view anyway) is in knowing which windows to look up at. But today yielded valuable information on that score, for in my journeying, I unexpectedly came upon the headquarters of Strategic Storytellers on the east side of Dufferin Street.

I decided to pop my head in the door and say hello to Lisa Horvat, who was most gracious in receiving me. We chatted for awhile, remembered to mention the latest installment of the webcomic, and she in turn made a point of emailing me some info that will prove very useful in my jobsearch strategy. Thanks again Lisa!

Before I forget, I'd like to refer back to a tweet I made this morning: something strange is going on with squirrels in Toronto, folks. I don't know why, but for some reason in just this past week I have seen three squirrels - that's three different squirrels, in three different neighbourhoods, on three separate occasions - climbing up onto the windshields of parked cars and making off with bright yellow City of Toronto parking tickets freshly-tucked under the window wipers. Is yellow the 'in' colour this spring for Toronto's arboreal rodents?

Finally, I'd like to give a shout-out to Donna Pidlubny, who correctly sussed out my game during a chance encounter at the corner of Dufferin & Liberty late this afternoon (I always love it when someone just comes right out and engages me in public, and Donna was no shrinking violet). An illustrator and graphic designer hailing from western Canada, she exudes that certain air of professionalism that can be as welcome and refreshing as a good cuppa joe. Nice chatting, Donna... and once again faithful readers - I'll see you around!

Have you seen That QR Code Guy?

Some folks feel a little self-conscious about taking pics (or even scans), and so I find myself amassing a wonderful collection of photos of me walking away from people...! Seriously, though - I'm always happy to stop for either - and, if you're curious but are uncertain whether you should scan or not, well hey! I'm right there (and I don't bite, honest). Oh, and I normally try making a point of walking verrrry slowly, so don't be shy. The photo below was taken yesterday by Veronica Quach, who saw me walking north along Peter Street.
Taken March 5th on Peter Street by @veronicaquach - thanks, Veronica!
As always, if you're one of the many who've spotted (and subsequently snapped a photo of) That QR Code Guy - Stalking the Job wants to hear from you!

1 comment: